LuLuSchiller

LuLu's Living Library

I am a bookaholic and I admit I have a problem, but I do not want help resolving this problem because honestly it's an amazing problem that involves an ever-expanding library with thousands of tales to be read.

The Awakening (Graveyard Queen) by Amanda Stevens (No (2017-03-28)
Amanda Stevens (No
Reign: Hysteria
Lily Blake

{Bout of Books 13} Modern to Classic Challenge

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

I believe that Ernest Cline's phenomenal debut novel Ready Player One will become a classic in 100 years time.  This book was originally published by Random House on August 16, 2011.

According to the article Qualities of Classic Literature, the following characteristics help distinguish a piece of literature as a classic:

• A classic is timely--an expression of and influence on the times in which it was written
  • A classic is timeless--deals with themes that touch all periods of history, all societies, and all cultures
  • A classic presents truth
  • A classic will endure the test of time
  • A classic is readable in its style
  • A classic connects authors and times--reveal influences from other writers and other great works of literature

The two qualities that stand out the most for me in the book Ready Player One are it being timely and it's readable in its style.  Even though this book a science fiction dystopian book set in the future, its references to the 80s and video games of that decade really connect to readers during this time.  As for readable, it may start off slower, but as you keep going it just hooks you and you can't seem to stop reading.  This I find is my experience with most classic.  It starts slow, but then I'm hooked and I will reread the book over and over again because it is just that good.

Challenge Hosted By